Rover powered fuel tank cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rover powered fuel tank cleaner

I built this out of odd bits laying about the shop yesterday. Worked a treat. Saved a tank that I was ready to scrap. Three gallons of CLR and 300 nuts for a half hour. Click image for larger version

Name:	B86C0DC7-C096-4F15-A9C8-F087ABC03C27.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	195899

Hello from Brisbane.

Nice application of ingenuity there - congratulations.

The closest that I’d seen to that was in Lombok Indonesia some years ago powering a pumice polishing rig.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

What!, No rear PTO?

Nice!
      Put your phone down and drive. Stop driving distracted.

Comment

That is awesome! of course 4th gear and some extra ratcheting up of the hand throttle would shorten that time.... What are you using it to seal the fresh metal? Lately I've heard that Caswell> Red Kote > Kreem. I keep wanting to go try the electrolysis route, but I only get as far as watching Geoffrey Croker's videos again and again...

Comment

Geoffrey Croker is the man, and Caswell is the only sealer to use.

Comment

Originally posted by limestone69 View Post
            Geoffrey Croker is the man,
            He is indeed. And his video production values are about as good as a NatGeo documentary, IMO. Though he's been a little quiet as of late.
            1969 Marine Blue Bugeye

Comment

I love Geoffrey. His videos are so well done.

Colin

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Originally posted by series guy View Post
                ...Three gallons of CLR and 300 nuts for a half hour.
                And now you have 300 really, really clean nuts.

Colin
                A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Yes I do. I actually had 3 BMW tanks that needed done. The one in the photos was my experimental tank as I had written it off as too bad to save. It actually came out spotless inside and most importantly I want to find a cleaning method that didn’t harm the paint as I had a tank with a pretty special paint that I couldn’t match or replace. I flushed and dried these tanks and coated them with Redkote and they are good to go. A major victory here.

Comment

I love that idea, but I think I'm mostly just envious of your 88's clean straight sheet metal.
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    '73 S3 88"
                    '87 110 garden shed

Comment

I need to do that to a series 1 tank I have. It was coated once and the coating peeled, so the rest of the coating needs to be removed.

Comment

Working...
                      X