Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any recommendations for 2a transmission oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any recommendations for 2a transmission oil?

What GL4 oil are people using? Is there a suitable synthetic worth using? Does it need to be just GL4 (some seem to be gl4 & gl5 compatible)
    thanks.

I use Stu Lube it is g/l 4.

Amazon sell it and walmart

josh t

Comment

Josh T means StA Lube
      -Josh N

Comment

Stalube, gl4, more modern like gl5 have components that eat the bronze used in LR's.
        gene
        1960 109 w/ 200TDI
        rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

X3 or 4 on the stalube.
          '64 Series IIA 109

My 9-y.o. sons friend: This is a nice jeep.
          My son: It is NOT a jeep, it is a Land Rover. It is more capable than a jeep.

Comment

I use Redline MT90...expensive but it does take some of the notchiness out of my S3 box...at least compared to whatever the PO had used. Most if not all Redline gear fluids are yellow metal safe. Doesn't leak any more, or less.
            sigpic
            '72 Series III 88"
            '85 d90 2.5NA
            '74 TR6

Comment

Originally posted by pitchrollyaw View Post
              I use Redline MT90...expensive but it does take some of the notchiness out of my S3 box...at least compared to whatever the PO had used. Most if not all Redline gear fluids are yellow metal safe. Doesn't leak any more, or less.
              Interesting...I have a couple of bottles of mt90 left over from another car. It seems quite a lot thinner than the normal stuff! Maybe I will try it and see! I wonder if it makes the trans anymore noisy the the thicker stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by loose gravel View Post
                Stalube, gl4, more modern like gl5 have components that eat the bronze used in LR's.
                NAPA sells CRC StaLube GL-4 85W90 gear oil. It is the correct viscosity. It is readily available and you won't lose sleep over the whole GL-4 vs. GL-5 issue debate. It's what I always used in my Land Rovers, and I use it in the 4-speed on my 68 Camaro.

Now, the issue really isn't GL-4 vs. GL-5. Some people claim that the GL-5 attacks yellow metals, but most gear oil manufacturers now use non-active sulfur phosphorus EP (extreme pressure) additives which don't attack the yellow metals. Also, even if it is the 'old' active type additive, yellow metal attack usually doesn't occur until the temperature gets to about 240F - hopefully above the temp that any of your internal gearbox components experience.

The problem with finding a gear oil for use in synchronized transmissions is finding one without Limited Slip (LS) additives. The LS additives are usually what gives you problems with your synchros and causes grinding upon shifting.

So, if you can find a GL-4 or GL-5 that doesn't state that it has LS additives, then you should still be OK using it in your transmission. However, I have yet to find any GL-5 locally that does not contain LS additives.
                Jeff
                (Currently Roverless)

Comment

This Valvoline doesn't have LS additives: https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publi...2-ac162d889bd1
                  Nor this Redline https://www.redlineoil.com/75w90-ns-gl-5-gear-oil
                  I just don't know if they're local to you.

Comment

Thanks for all the useful info. I think my trans has Star Lube in now, so I may change it out to the Valvoline High Performance 80W-90 Gear Oil as I can get it locally. I will also use it in my axles. I will keep the Redline MT90 for my (soon to fit) Roamerdrive.
                    Have a good Thanksgiving all!

Comment

Originally posted by nicsrover View Post
                      Thanks for all the useful info. I think my trans has Star Lube in now, so I may change it out to the Valvoline High Performance 80W-90 Gear Oil as I can get it locally. I will also use it in my axles. I will keep the Redline MT90 for my (soon to fit) Roamerdrive.
                      Have a good Thanksgiving all!
                      Note that the Valvoline HP has a note regarding use in synchronized manual transmissions. It states to use a different oil in that application.

*In synchronized manual transmission applications use:  Valvoline Professional Series Manual Transmission Fluid or  Valvoline Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid (available September 2012)
                      Jeff
                      (Currently Roverless)

Comment

Originally posted by jac04 View Post

Note that the Valvoline HP has a note regarding use in synchronized manual transmissions. It states to use a different oil in that application.

*In synchronized manual transmission applications use:  Valvoline Professional Series Manual Transmission Fluid or  Valvoline Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid (available September 2012)
                        Thanks for the info. It sure is all very confusing! Maybe I will just stick with the StaLube for now!

Comment

X Whatever for Stalube GL-4. See link below. Get a 1 gallon jug and then a little pump that lives in the jug. You'll be good to go.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SL_S...pressionRank=3

Comment

Working...
                          X