fuel pump issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel pump issue

Hey guys, long time since I've been on the forum. I don't really drive Shorty much here in winter but try and start and run on warmer days. I've noticed lately that the manual lever on the (stock) fuel pump does not work. Usually I'll use the lever to pump gas to the carb if it has not been started in awhile. Now the manual lever just wiggles up and down but does not pump any gas thru the line. What's with that? Turning over the engine with the starter does pump gas. Just takes longer to fire up.
    Hans

'64 lla 88 "Shorty" mostly stock
    110/series hybrid (defunct)
    '61 FJ40 sold
    '75 CJ5 sold

If the cam lobe is not in sync with the fuel pump when you turn it off, it will not work. Bump the engine with the key and try pumping again.
    - Rover Owner

Comment

It probably means the carb is primed/full already - and that's ok. If you ever use the manual pump to fill the carb you'll notice it eventually stops giving the sensation of pumping/pressure and just wiggles up/down. It's because the float in the fuel bowl/carb floats up and closes the needle valve.
      1968 Series 2a, 88
      1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

Comment

No Lumpy, I only try it when the gas is visible down the line below the filter. I have felt it quit working when the gas gets to the carb. I'll try Contractor's suggestion.
        Hans

'64 lla 88 "Shorty" mostly stock
        110/series hybrid (defunct)
        '61 FJ40 sold
        '75 CJ5 sold

Comment

Is the pin/joint on the priming handle work out? Cam location shouldn't matter when using the manual handle.

Takes mine a while to pull gas up to the filter but as you said, it's a pretty distinct change in the handle when it does. Perhaps you have a loose connection somewhere allowing it to suck air, a hole in the diaphram or plugged pickup tube?

Comment

Just a helper hint; tie a bit of paracord to the pump handle, I might have had to drill a hole in mine, and run the cord up so you don't have to stick yer arm down there. Pull on the cord and happily pump away. Leave the cord on for the future!
            gene
            1960 109 w/ 200TDI
            rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

That's a damn fine idea.... Especially if you have a see-thru filter just prior to the carb, you can instantly see the results....
              “… of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people; commencing demagogues, and ending tyrants.” — Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers, #1

Comment

take the fuel line off the carb and pump it. . you'll know then if the pump is working or not. You may have a carb issue. how's your fuel filter?

Comment

Working...
                X