Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RustCollector
    replied
    Thanks for sharing those links. Boy, that's some nice work you've done there!

Yeah, a fan shroud will help your radiator air flow a ton.

Leave a comment:

• MilesBFree
    replied
    here are direct links to the photos; i am wondering if there is a bug in the way the GnR forum code works that is not processing the URL correctly for some folks

http://www.fd3s.net/Series_power_ste...-%20final.jpeg

http://www.fd3s.net/Series_power_ste...cket%2024.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• RustCollector
    replied
    I guess I let my subscription lapse.

Leave a comment:

• series guy
    replied
    They show up for me.

Leave a comment:

• loose gravel
    replied
    Originally posted by MilesBFree View Post

That's odd - they are hosted on a web site I have, not uploaded to this forum. They should display on browser - I don't have any dirty tricks on the web site like ads, spyware, trackers, etc. It's just a jpg being served up by an http server - as old school as it gets.

Is anyone else having trouble seeing them?
    I'm not seeing them either. here's a screenshot;

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (18).png
Views:	69
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	202658

Leave a comment:

• MilesBFree
    replied
    Originally posted by RustCollector View Post
    Miles, your pics didn't load right. I'm afraid I don't know how to help you with that. Check one of the "sticky" comments about uploading pics.
    That's odd - they are hosted on a web site I have, not uploaded to this forum. They should display on browser - I don't have any dirty tricks on the web site like ads, spyware, trackers, etc. It's just a jpg being served up by an http server - as old school as it gets.

Is anyone else having trouble seeing them?

Leave a comment:

• siiirhd88
    replied
    I've stripped those sideways threads on two double groove pullies and had to locktite the modified helicoils for the repair.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• RustCollector
    replied
    Miles, your pics didn't load right. I'm afraid I don't know how to help you with that. Check one of the "sticky" comments about uploading pics.

Leave a comment:

• MilesBFree
    replied
    and with the 8-blade fan installed:

Leave a comment:

• MilesBFree
    replied

Yep, I agree.

Photo of the 2-row pulleys. The 8-blade fan does not attach to the 4 bolts in the face of the water pump pulley, but rather bolts into the holes on the side of the pulley.

Leave a comment:

• RustCollector
    replied
    MilesB, I'm going to guess that the fan shroud will have more positive effect on your cooling than the difference between 4 and 8 fan blades.
    Post pics!

Leave a comment:

• RustCollector
    replied
    Bob and Mark, this is why I love this forum. Where else would I learn this stuff?

The low speed/idling cooling makes sense to me now. As does the clutch fan setup.

I read somewhere on the internet, so it must be true, that the four bladed fan uses 5 horse power to run at high engine speeds. If that's even close to true I can see the value in a viscous fan or even an electric conversion.

Leave a comment:

• MilesBFree
    replied
    I had to go to the 2-row crank pulley and 2-row water pump pulley when I added a power steering pump, which required moving the alternator on the diesel 2.25. Since the standard 4-blade fan doesn't fit the 2-row pulley I had to upgrade to the 8-blade fan.

Turns out I didn't need the 2-row crank pulley since my original layout for the accessories didn't work. What I settled on was: the alternator is driven off the water pump pulley given I could only figure out one set of mounting locations for those. The crank pulley uses one row to run the PS pump and water pump, and the second row of the water pump pulley to run the alternator.

So long story short, I already have the 8-blade fan installed and am thinking of adding the shroud.

(Sorry for the thread-jacking; was just looking to confirm the standard shroud would work with the 8-blade fan.)

Leave a comment:

• series guy
    replied
    The 8 blade fan was originally a military thing but in the late 60s the Saudis placed a big order for 88” trucks with sun sheets on the hard top and 8 blade fans among other minor changes. The story goes that the order was cancelled mid shipment and the trucks came to the USA. Our 1970 late 2a was one of these trucks.

Leave a comment:

• siiirhd88
    replied
    The 8 blade fan was typically on military trucks that spent time either idling or at low speed in convoy, activities that limit air flow thru the radiator. When traveling at normal speed the fan is not really needed, which is why the clutch fan is used on the newer trucks, The fan clutch locks up as the air temp behind the radiator rises, otherwise the fan blades freewheel.

I used the 8 blade fan on my Pa. operated truck and noted better cooling in traffic.

Bob

Leave a comment:

Working...
X