Fuel infection irony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LR Max View Post
    But moving forward, I have good luck with either Standard Motor Products or AC Delco sensors/electronic bits. So I would suggest those brands moving forward.
    Ac Delco is just re boxed Standard Motor products.. so use them interchangeably..

biggest issue with the aftermarket electronics is they just aren't as robust as their OEM counterparts even thought 90 percent of the time they are made on the same line by the same manufacturer, just a different quality set.. something needs to change in the product to make it aftermarket vs OE. its usually a different designed component or lower gauge connectors etc.

you can go to a pick and pull and grab a motorcraft duraspark module that has 100K on it and it will outperform a Standard Motor Products replacement part.. Ive burned through literally a dozen of them on my CJ before throwing in an older OE unit from a Wrangler.. no problems since (well with the ignition)
    same issue with sensors, much more sensitive to voltage...

parts guy rant over.. I applaud the manufacturers for still making parts for 70 year old vehicles readily available, the quality and the reliability are always question in my mind..

Comment

Some of my friends give me serious grief when I push them to buy genuine parts. 90% of the time there is a big difference. Land Rovers didn’t survive 60 + years on parts made in India, Pakistan, Vietnam, China, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by series guy View Post
        Some of my friends give me serious grief when I push them to buy genuine parts. 90% of the time there is a big difference. Land Rovers didn’t survive 60 + years on parts made in India, Pakistan, Vietnam, China, etc.
        Very true. I used to run almost any type of replacement part on the NADA when I was younger (and broke). For the most part, the replacement parts worked. Now, nothing seems to last...
        But even if they don't, I feel like most Rover guys will find a work around. What bothers me the most is the cheap quality critical components on the market, like brake cylinders and shoes. Those things can't fail when you need them! And I don't trust the aftermarket parts for the LR motors or transmissions anymore. That's another reason I steered toward the R380.

There's an interesting article in the latest RN newsletter about the Dakar race. A few Series Rovers entered, and one had a head rebuild before going. He ended up having every aftermarket replacement valve spring break! He had to source some used ones in the middle of nowhere to get him back running!

I'll add that my brand new emergency flasher unit (45W) burned out after just about 10 flashes... I'm pretty sure that my combined wattage was under 45. Anyway, I replaced it with a Wagner, NOS, USA made one and no issues since.
        Last edited by 50 wulf; 08-03-2022, 11:44 PM.
        There is nothing more dangerous than those who seek to alter the will of men through force or deception rather than logic.

Comment

Originally posted by 50 wulf View Post

A few Series Rovers entered, and one had a head rebuild before going. He ended up having every aftermarket replacement valve spring break!
          This same thing happened to a fellow on this board!

1969 Marine Blue Bugeye

Comment

Working...
          X