Speedo Cable - Retaining Plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo Cable - Retaining Plate?

I have a new speedo cable I am about to fit - I noticed it does not have the Retaining Plate (w/ 3 screws) included on the cable.
    Am I supposed to re-use the old one 9does it even fit over the cable outer ends or have they sent me the wrong cable?
    Thanks for any advice. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8721.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	210072 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8720.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	210073
    Attached Files

So...I decided to go ahead and remove old cable - The circular retaining plate was able to be re-used! So all good now and reattached!

Comment

That puzzled me the first time I replaced one also. Self explanatory once you get into it.

Comment

I seem to have misplaced mine at some point so I just drilled three holes through a washer and moved on.
        '64 Series IIA 109

My 9-y.o. sons friend: This is a nice jeep.
        My son: It is NOT a jeep, it is a Land Rover. It is more capable than a jeep.

Comment

I bought that same cable and found that it didn't have the retainer at the top so the cable would slide all the way down into the trans. I lubed it up with graphite spray, installed (cursing at the screws not being accessible the whole time), test drove it and found it didn't work, scratched my head, and set about pulling it back off. As i pulled it off the speedo, i didn't see the actual cable inside the sheath. Figured out it wasn't made correctly, and ordered a NOS one from Ike. Went to install it and found I list one of the screws (I think 2BA or 3BA?). Ordered new ones from Ike - actually small bolts that were easier to get in, after I waited on the shipping from Oregon. Works great now!

Just mentioning that in case you find a similar issue. Normally Bearmach makes good stuff, so may have been a bad day for the person assembling it...
          Miles
          1965 Series 2a 109 diesel soft top/pickup/3-door, Limestone

Jesus rides beside me
          But he never buys any smokes
          --The Replacements, Can't Hardly Wait

Comment

the new Bearmach with missing cable retainer is on the right. Not sure which f the other 2 are old and NOS
            Attached Files
            Miles

Jesus rides beside me

Comment

If you can get the right size, W x L you can use allen head machine screws and the allen key keeps the screw from falling off.
              gene
              1960 109 w/ 200TDI
              rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

"We are prisoners of the Present, forever transitioning between our inaccessible Past and our unknowable Future." Neil DeGrasse-Tyson

Comment

I also had a problem with the Bearmach cable. the lack of a boss on the speedo end is a real problem. Mine just kept slipping out of the speedo. I bought a different cable.

Comment

Originally posted by series guy View Post
                  I also had a problem with the Bearmach cable. the lack of a boss on the speedo end is a real problem. Mine just kept slipping out of the speedo. I bought a different cable.
                  Exactly. I can't believe that the Bearmach cable doesn't have this - it has to be a bad batch of them.

Nothing to keep it in the speedo so it simply doesn't work.
                  Miles

Jesus rides beside me

Comment

Working...
                  X