Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Series 2A handbrake option

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Series 2A handbrake option

    Hello G&R members. I wanted to do a post on my transmission handbrake solution. When I got my truck the only thing left on my truck for the handbrake system was the drum on the back of the transmission. No lever, no rods or pivot, nothing inside the drum. I suppose the previous owner had trouble with the setup and scuddled the whole handbrake. Lived in NH so I guess Live Free or Die! Anyhow I looked at the whole setup and decided to use a cable instead. RN part number PLN149 is for a similar setup on MK1 discovery but uses a cable. I made a few brackets and seems to work really well. See pictures below and hopefully you can see how it all works. I used the same frame mount point for the pivot assembly. Feel free to reach out if you like more details. Cheers. Tom

    Click image for larger version

Name:	F3380571-90A2-4EAE-96F9-A73ECE9FBD77.jpeg
Views:	304
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	212780 Click image for larger version

Name:	3D84F970-95AD-4524-AA53-3C82AC1221A7.jpeg
Views:	300
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	212781
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Apology on the newbie multiple attached files. I am going to figure this out one day…. : ). Cheers. Tom

    Comment


    • #3
      Nice work!
      Erik

      1970ish exMOD 109

      Comment


      • #4
        What is on the other end of the cable? Good job!
        gene
        1960 109 w/ 200TDI
        rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/



        "We are prisoners of the Present, forever transitioning between our inaccessible Past and our unknowable Future." Neil DeGrasse-Tyson

        Comment


        • #5
          That's neat. The original mechanisms are a little clunky. There's always a way to make something work on these trucks, which is one reason I love them so much. I ditched my whole drum e-brake for an X-Engineering disc brake setup. It's not nearly as susceptible to oil foiling, if a seal should leak.

          Not a great pic, but here it is. Linkage is simplified as well.
          https://www.gunsandrovers.com/fileda...2&d=1583295316

          Comment


          • #6
            i had throttle issues including the hand throttle, such as the idle seemed to change and the final straw was that it seemed like it just wouldn't go to WOT at all.

            I found that a lot of that linkage was loose or not adjusted properly. The idle issue finally turned out to be when i engage the handbrake, idle goes up. That was a hard one to figure out given the number of variables.

            I still have the idle issue; it was suggested that the transmission mount may be worn out and allowing the trans to move the engine a bit which given the hard throttle linkage making it pull against the diesel injector pump linkage. I need to crawl under the truck with a crowbar and see how much movement there is at different points.

            May look at the X-Eng handbrake too, 50wulf.
            Miles
            1965 Series 2a 109 diesel soft top/pickup/3-door, Limestone

            Jesus rides beside me
            But he never buys any smokes
            --The Replacements, Can't Hardly Wait

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by loose gravel View Post
              What is on the other end of the cable? Good job!
              Not sure on your question. One end of the cable goes to the handbrake lever assembly and the other to the rod coming from the drum assembly that controls the brake shoe expander. The cable comes with the correct ends already to make it work just like the original rod and pivot setup. Hope that helps. Cheers. Tom

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MilesBFree View Post
                i had throttle issues including the hand throttle, such as the idle seemed to change and the final straw was that it seemed like it just wouldn't go to WOT at all.

                I found that a lot of that linkage was loose or not adjusted properly. The idle issue finally turned out to be when i engage the handbrake, idle goes up. That was a hard one to figure out given the number of variables.

                I still have the idle issue; it was suggested that the transmission mount may be worn out and allowing the trans to move the engine a bit which given the hard throttle linkage making it pull against the diesel injector pump linkage. I need to crawl under the truck with a crowbar and see how much movement there is at different points.

                May look at the X-Eng handbrake too, 50wulf.
                Not to diverge the handbrake discussion but for my throttle I am also going to adapt a cable setup based on what was used on an MGB. I look a the whole throttle linkage setup and I see just unnecessary complexity. For the throttle cable I go to a local bike store and buy some cables for spares. Tom

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Poppy1969 View Post

                  Not sure on your question. One end of the cable goes to the handbrake lever assembly and the other to the rod coming from the drum assembly that controls the brake shoe expander. The cable comes with the correct ends already to make it work just like the original rod and pivot setup. Hope that helps. Cheers. Tom
                  I was wondering if you were using the lever or had converted to a foot brake style.
                  gene
                  1960 109 w/ 200TDI
                  rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/



                  "We are prisoners of the Present, forever transitioning between our inaccessible Past and our unknowable Future." Neil DeGrasse-Tyson

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Poppy1969 View Post

                    Not to diverge the handbrake discussion but for my throttle I am also going to adapt a cable setup based on what was used on an MGB. I look a the whole throttle linkage setup and I see just unnecessary complexity. For the throttle cable I go to a local bike store and buy some cables for spares. Tom
                    I converted my throttle to a cable with bike cable. In my blog; https://poppageno.blogspot.com/2014/...rator-fix.html
                    gene
                    1960 109 w/ 200TDI
                    rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/



                    "We are prisoners of the Present, forever transitioning between our inaccessible Past and our unknowable Future." Neil DeGrasse-Tyson

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Looks real clean..

                      thank you for sharing

                      Scotty
                      1963 Series II A 88

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X