SIII Alternator wiring order on back of alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIII Alternator wiring order on back of alternator

I noticed that the wiring connector on the back of my SIII's alternator was busted and half missing so I figured I would get a new plug and clean up the terminals if needed. On pulling off the connector (Lucas type I think, 3 wires in a row - 1 small and 2 larger terminals), I was wondering if it mattered the order of the two larger terminal wires? I ask because of the two supposed brown wires (one of mine looks to be a replacement 16 gauge red wire the other a 10 gauge brown) the red wire was in the middle and the larger brown on the outside which is opposite of what I see on the replacement connectors online.

I know both the wires lead back to the same lug on the starter relay, and one wire I guess is for charging and the other sensing into the alternator, but is their order important because I think mine are wrong. I haven't had any charging/electrical issues that I can detect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240209_204254_Chrome.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	220260
    "Really not brag'n...just brag'n...I've done 3000 brag'n miles in 11 brag'n days in a brag'n series and never once stopped brag'n. Absolutely the best brag'n I've ever done"

Comment

Alright I'll take that as it doesn't matter which way the alternator wires go. Thanks

Comment

The sense and charge wires may connect to the same location on the starter relay, but the charge wire is typically a heavier gauge wire as it carries the alternator output to the vehicle loads, while the sense wire is a much smaller wire with a voltage input to the regulator in the alternator. It isn't carrying any load, unlike the charge wire. If you get them reversed, you could fry the smaller wire....

Bob

Comment

I guess I am back to square one with my question

Comment

The connections are different sizes. You can’t plug the sense wire onto a charge terminal as they are physically larger. The two larger charge wires end up connected so the position doesn’t matter.

Comment

Well I did a little more google research and found the following, which I won't take as gospel but it sounds good. https://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forum...r-wiring-acrs/

It states that the there were a couple of ways how the spades were used on the ACR16 3pin Lucas alternators: one where both the alternator's brown wires were connected within the rectifier so both wires were "output" - machine sensing or really a two-wire alternator, and one where the wires were isolated from one another so one was "output" and the other "sense" - battery sensing or true three-wire alternator.

It also states that for the higher amp ACR18 alternators they were the machine sensing or two-wire type with two larger brown wires from the solenoid to the alternator. I believe the ACR18 was what was fitted standard to the 71-74 North American SIIIs. When I was originally mentioning that my alternator wiring consisted of a 10 gauge brown, 16 gauge brown/yellow and a 16 gauge replacement red wire I didn't mention that the red wire was actually attached at the alternator by a small bit of 10 gauge wire so mine was probably two 10-gauge wires which goes along with what the other link says for ACR18s.

I haven't looked inside my replacement alternator to see if the two larger terminals are connected or not but either way I think while replacing the plug I'm going to just run another large wire replacing the replacement red wire and call it a day.

Comment

Working...
              X